Six Questions in the Unbearable Humidity
by Cheryl Mathis on July 18th, 2008
- When you ride a bike, do you wear a helmet? My mom fell off of her bike last Tuesday, and she badly damaged her eye because she slammed down on her sunglasses. They think that the damage would have been far less severe if she had been wearing a helmet. Still, wearing one doesn’t come naturally to me because I never wore one when I was a kid. New habits have to start NOW.
- Are you taking any precautions against mosquitoes this summer? I’m freaked out about West Nile, so I won’t let my son have a wading pool in the backyard unless we just fill it for a one-time use. Do you know any natural ways of fending off the terrible scourge on the hide of humanity?
- Are you attending any family reunions this summer? We have one that we’re going to a couple weekends from now, but none of my siblings and their families are attending. I feel like a fuddy-duddy for caring about my extended family. Is it a generational thing that some people don’t care about reunions anymore?
- Do you still prefer the music of your youth? In my plurk group, people have been oohing and aahing over the Packer Blog guy getting to meet Bret Michaels of Poison, though Jim Carlson already knows him. I missed that era completely. In general, I’ve noticed that the music that was popular during your teen years is usually the stuff you prefer to listen to later on. It’s close to your heart because it was so much a part of your formative years. What other excuse could there be for WIFC to play “Pour Some Sugar On Me” five times a day? The nineties was my music era, for better or for worse. What music still turns you on after all these years?
- How do you feel about beer tents at community events? Shawn Sullivan and his family were startled to find a beer garden at the Balloon Rally this year, and they shared some awkward and disturbing drinking-related incidents that upset their small children. Is it a societal norm in Wisconsin? Should it be?
- How are your New Year’s Resolutions doing? My husband and I decided that 2008 would be the year of weight loss, and we’ve lost 40 pounds each. Since April, we’ve fallen off the wagon with our workouts (and eating too much delicious ice cream), and I’m determined to climb back on and continue with the weight loss. I’m kicking our butts in gear, and we’re going to the Y tonight after work to do some fierce cardio. What did you decide to do?